Tuning Documentation & Translation schedules

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:30:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 02:49:46PM +0530, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel wrote:
> John Poelstra wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for being patient with me as I get up to speed with the
>> different tasks your teams perform and where they intersect.  I am
>> continually refining the wording of each task so it is hopefully
>> clearer exactly what is being done.  In the process I'm discovering
>> more undocumented tasks that need to be completed to bridge tasks
>> already on the schedule and also finding others that are unclear as to
>> what they are.  For example we say "translations due" but we don't say
>> which translations they are... release notes, softare, documentation?
>>
>> I am also trying to a better job of representing on each team's
>> schedule which tasks THEY perform.  For example the Documentation
>> schedule lists only the tasks that docs is responsible for--not
>> translation tasks too.  The overall schedule shows combined tasks for
>> all the teams if you're looking for a combined view.
>>
>> On Monday at 16:00 UTC I'll be meeting Demitris on fedora's gobby
>> instance to add more details and corrections to the Fedora 10
>> translation schedule.  Feel free to join in.  If this turns out to be
>> helpful I would like to do a similar exercise with the docs team if
>> they are so interested.
>>
>> Translation schedule:
>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-trans-tasks.html
>>
>> Docs schedule:
>> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-docs-tasks.html
>>
>> John
>>
> Hi John,
>
> Thank you so much for closely working with the FLP & Docs team and
> sorting out the translation & documentation schedule related issues.
> These new schedules have made the roadmap pretty clear for FLP team I
> think.
>
> I might not be able to join you in the meeting, though I wanted to.
>
> So, let me request the last change I would like to see in the
> Documentation as well as translation schedule.
>
> Fedora Documentation team writes not only Release Notes but also guides
> like Installation Guide, Desktop User Guide, etc too. I wonder, why
> these documentation writing tasks are neither mentioned in Documentation
> schedule nor in translation schedule?
>
> Btw, I have got one more doubt. Why can't we put "Translate 0-day
> release notes for docs.fp.org" in the Launch phase as well, rather than
> in maintenance phase?

These Docs tasks *should* be in the schedule, Ankit, you're quite
correct.  That's an oversight that we will get corrected as we work
with John to overhaul his rendition of our schedule as well.  Note
that in the past they've always been on that schedule.

Part of the reason they're not there now is that in the past I had
often drafted the next release's schedule on the wiki after some
discussion with Docs folks.  I wasn't able to do that post-F9 simply
for lack of spare cycles.  Now that Karsten has Fedora Docs as one of
his job responsibilities he's able to carve more time for things like
schedule debugging.  I notice this is on the Docs Project task list:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/Meetings

Thanks for being attentive to this problem; I'm sure it can be
resolved to everyone's benefit.