install guide draft

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 23:43:55 UTC 2009

Mani A wrote:
> I had a look at some parts of
>
> http://rlandmann.fedorapeople.org/Installation Guide/en-US/html

Many thanks! We need eyes on this.
> "7.22.4. SMP Motherboards and GRUB
> In previous versions of Fedora there were two different kernel
> versions, a uniprocessor version and an SMP version. In Fedora 11 the
> kernel is SMP-enabled by default and will take advantage of multiple
> core, hyperthreading, and multiple CPU capabilities when they are
> present. This same kernel can run on single CPUs with a single core
> and no hyperthreading. "
>

> This is being repeated since FC-4-6?

Did the native kernel have multiprocessor support before F9?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Kernel.html
(whatever version it was, the text should be clarified to name it
specifically)

This note will become less and less relevant with each release – at what
point should we drop it though?
> "Swap should equal 2x physical RAM for up to 2 GB of physical RAM, and
> then an additional 1x physical RAM for any amount above 2 GB, but
> never less than 32 MB.
> So, if:
> M = Amount of RAM in GB, and S = Amount of swap in GB, then
>
> If M < 2
> 	S = M *2
> Else
> 	S = M + 2"
>
> Using this formula, a system with 2 GB of physical RAM would have 4 GB
> of swap, while one with 3 GB of physical RAM would have 5 GB of swap.
> Creating a large swap space partition can be especially helpful if you
> plan to upgrade your RAM at a later time.
> For systems with really large amounts of RAM (more than 32 GB) you can
> likely get away with a smaller swap partition (around 1x, or less, of
> physical RAM)."
>

> The formula is not correct. Or is this the result of some special study?

The formula is the current recommendation in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
(see http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15252 ) and is what anaconda
will create by default when installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux or
Fedora. I don't think we should change this recommendation unless
anaconda's behaviour changes as well.

I think the text makes it pretty clear that this recommendation is only
indicative; it's prefaced "If you are unsure about what size swap
partition to create..."

Do you think we need to draw more attention to this being a "rule of thumb"?

Cheers
Rudi