F11 release notes ready for translation

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Sat Apr 11 16:57:07 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Piotr Drąg" <piotrdrag at gmail.com>
To: <fedora-trans-list at redhat.com>; "fedora-docs-list"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: F11 release notes ready for translation

> more of that kind, even more cryptic to us. Do we *really* need this? Is
> the big AmateurRadio section read by anyone else then radio amateurs?
> With all the respect, I don't think they are significant part of our
> community.

Piotr, I thought we should highlight the various applications for different
user groups.  I was surprised, though, that I was unable to identify
collections of applications of interest to many groups.  You would think
there would be applications for collectors, sports fans, etc., but all I
could find were amateur radio, science and technology, and IC design.  It
happens there were a lot of changes for amateur radio apps this time, not so
much for IC design.  There were quite a lot of changes in the Sci/Tech area
too, but I could only raise a couple of comments from developers, and the
other changes were in applications that were pretty esoteric, and I didn't
feel very comfortable writing about them.

> Smaller release notes containing only information for majority of users
> would be easier to translate and understand

I kind of vacillate a little on this.  On the one hand, for an awful lot of
applications, there isn't much to say except we went from version x to
version y and here's where to find the upstream release notes (when they
exist).  Trouble is, it is hard to judge how big a deal that change is to
the folks who use the app.  This is especially true of the development tools
which are pretty long this time, and probably among the most difficult to
translate.  In those communities, there are probably more than a few folks
waiting for a particular bug fix on some particular tool.  This is also
somewhat true of the amateur radio community.

I do feel like we really need much more complete documentation on what the
apps do and how to use them, but I agree this belongs on the wiki.  In fact,
having a good strategy for getting that sort of information into the wiki
could turn out to be a helpful recruiting tool.

Perhaps a strategy for F12 might be something like a categorized list of
*all* changes, and prose only about new features, or maybe significant new
features.  Getting everything categorized would be something of a problem
(the yum categories are pretty bad), but that approach might prove more
useful *and* easier to translate.

Just some thoughts ...

--McD