License Change... Publican

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 04:40:02 UTC 2009

On 08/05/2009 12:41 PM, Joshua Wulf wrote:

> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FFAQ#How_do_I_properly_attribute_a_Creative_Commons_licensed_work.3F
>
> Why are we specifying attribution in the license?

If for no other reason than Attribution is a component of all Creative
Commons licenses — http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

The link that you provided above contains the following advice:

"If the copyright holder has not specified any particular way to
attribute them,
this does not mean that you do not have to give attribution. It simply
means that
you will have to give attribution to the best of your ability with the
information
you do have."

I guess our options here include:

0. Say nothing about the form of attribution that we want (as depicted
in the demo I put together), and rely on the text I quoted above.

1. Include a link to that section of the Creative Commons website.

2. Link to a page on fedoraproject.org that spells out a specific form
of attribution that we would like (similar to Wikipedia's:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use — see "Information for
re-users").

3. Spell out a specific form of attribution that we would like, in the
document itself.

I guess the choice between 2. and 3. might depend on how long and
complex that spelling out is. For example, I wouldn't like to see
something like Wikipedia's "Information for re-users" included on the
title page of every document, but how about something along these lines?

"If you copy, distribute, or adapt content from this document, your
version must include the
original copyright notice and license, cite the title of this document,
and credit the names
of the people or groups credited at its start. If you adapt or alter the
document, you must
clearly identify that your version differs from or adapts the original."

Cheers
Rudi