Fedora 10 Release Notes Update

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 22:39:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 08:28:38PM -0500, John J. McDonough wrote:
> The other day we decided it was about time for an update to the F10
> release notes.  I had some things to update, and I see by the git logs
> that Karsten was busy, too.
>
> So today I pushed what I believe to be the final needed changes to git.
> But what are the next steps?
>
> We need to push these changes to docs.fp.o, but I notice when I build them
> they have draft plastered all over them and the style looks different.  So
> somehow they need to be built clean and then somehow moved to docs.fp.o.

The draft marking is part of the CSS, and if I remember correctly you
won't see it when you post on docs.fp.o since there's a style sheet
provided there automatically, site-wide.  This publishing happens
after translation.

> Then I presume we need to get the changes translated.

This happens before any other publishing -- leaving enough time for
translators to work on the content.  We're pretty far into the F11
development cycle so you'll want to talk to the translators on
fedora-trans-list to see how much time they feel they need.  If you
can give an idea of how extensive the changes are (how many string
changes in the POT?), that should help.

> And then turned into a package.

This can happen parallel to the web publishing, after translation.

> So what are all these hidden steps that Paul and Karsten have been doing
> in the dead of night?

The web publishing is really nothing fancy.  I think the steps are in
the Documentation Guide, also published at docs.fp.o.

The packaging is also less radical than you might think.  I'm
responsible for the fedora-release-notes package and can help with the
updating of the RPM once the translation is done and the publishing is
underway.