Fedora 10 Release Notes Update

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 13:35:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 07:45:26PM -0500, John J. McDonough wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>

Ah, this is how it's expected to work.  The POT is an empty PO
template, so there are no translations present inside.  Translators
copy "this-doc.pot" to "<xx>.po" where <xx> is their locale code.
Then they fill in the appropriate strings.  If they've already done
some work, they use special merging commands that update what's
changed, so they can check or add translations only as needed.

> Should the newly-made pot also be pushed?  Comments in the docs guide
> indicate that some translators watch this, but I worry about the empty
> msgstr's.

Yes, the new POT should be pushed.  In general you do this:

$ make pot po
$ cvs ci -m 'Put your message here' po/*.po{,t}

And yes, you are updating the locale-specific PO files as well as the
overall POT.  The PO files will be merged automatically, as described
above, and assuming their statistics display works properly,
translators will see the statistics change.  For instance, they'll see
that now there are 8 new, untranslated strings, and 17 "fuzzy"
(slightly changed) strings to work on.

> When I grep the pot for the changed XMLs, there seem to be perhaps 35
> strings associated with those files.  I estimate perhaps 3/4 of those are
> new/changed, so does that imply perhaps a couple dozen strings to be
> translated?
>
> Of course, those are my changes.  There were a number of commits prior to
> mine, not sure how to estimate what those might imply (although many
> commit messages imply that they might not have included new/changed
> prose).

To see what the XML changes have done, I generally do "make postat"
before I rebuild the POT, then again afterward, to see the effect.
Generally at least one PO file is completely translated and then the
effects are very easy to see.