Rookie needs help

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Feb 16 14:31:43 UTC 2009

I don't think that is a bad plan at all for general appeal applications.  I
have begun work on some "user guide" types of information for amateur radio
applications.  I tend to think that for these more specialized audiences,
the wiki might be a better place.  We have a LOT of specialized applications
buried in those 11,000+ packages, and a UG that tried to describe a
significant fraction of them would be unweildy.

I would also like to see more information on how to use the development
applications.  Heck, even some sort of categorization could be a big help
there.  But again, that doesn't "feel" like it belongs in the UG.  Perhaps
there should be a developer's guide (no, I'm not volunteering ;-)

I'm not familiar with clawsmail, but certainly things like xchat-gnome and
konversation seem like good candidates.  I think there are about a
half-dozen IRC capable applications, some of them overlap the IM apps, but
it would be nice to see them all described and perhaps compared.

--McD