Install Guide now in Publican

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 23:01:10 UTC 2009

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> So would I be correct in thinking that's not what Publican does, and
> that entities are only supposed to be used in Publican docs to
> represent non-translatables like a year or a company name?

Yes, that's correct. Publican is built on the KDE tool xml2pot, not the
GNOME tool xml2po, and xml2pot doesn't have the "-e" option that xml2po
does.

Publican uses xml2pot because it is /significantly/ faster than xml2po,
which is important when handling the huge documents that we work with in
Red Hat Engineering Content Services. To put the difference in
perspective: while Publican was in early development, conversions of the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Deployment Guide (a document of around 300,000
words) were done with both tools. Xml2pot finished the entire run in all
23 languages around the same time that xml2po finished the /first/ language!

That said, there are such obvious advantages to using entities such as
&DISTRO; so this is something that will no doubt be revisited if and
when xml2pot ever gets an option equivalent to "-e". But for now, we
just can't do it.

Cheers
Rudi