rpm-info to publican conversion

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 22:42:07 UTC 2009

I started a small project to simplify some of the metadata conversion
process from our old-style, FDP toolchain-created docs into Publican:

http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/projects/rpminfo-to-publican/

It's not a code repository, just a script and some XSL stylesheets I
prepared.  It's far from bulletproof (maybe a little tetchy,
actually), so patches gratefully accepted.

The procedure:

1. Create a bare-bones Publican doc of the type you want, preferably
matching the original (book, article, or set), with brand "fedora" and
a name like "This_Guide_Name".

2. cd This_Guide_Name
   tar xzf /path/to/rpminfo-to-publican.tar.gz
   sh rpminfo-to-publican.sh /path/to/rpm-info.xml

3. Add YEAR and HOLDER entities to <LANG>/This_Guide_Name.ent as usual.

The XSL stylesheets properly import names of authors, revision
history, and other document metadata to the appropriate files, and
backup the old ones in an 'orig/' folder.  You should run this
procedure *before* you put additional data in these files.