New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jun 1 16:53:23 UTC 2009

Eric Christensen wrote:
> I'd like to hear some thoughts on a project to document where all
> Fedora's source is located and how someone could obtain it.  The
> thought is that while we make all of our source freely available to
> anyone I don't think we are doing a good job of letting people know
> where they can find it.  While we might be meeting the letter of the
> rules I think we can do better.
>
> This would include ALL source: software, docs, art, etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Eric

I guess I don't see the problem - the source RPMs are normally
available from the same mirrors as the binary RPMs. It is just a
matter of enabling the source repo (It is in the config, just
disabled.) and selecting the source RPM you want. This way, you get
the "virgin source" plus the patches that Fedora is using. The .spec
file normally has a pointer to the upstream web site as well, just
in case it isn't in the source package.

It has been a long time, but I sort of remember coming across
documentation covering this. (It may have been RedHat documentation
from before Fedora...)

Mike
--
I am not a number,
I am an individual with a unique number.