New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Jun 1 18:09:23 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
To: "For participants of the Documentation Project"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:53, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> I guess I don't see the problem - the source RPMs are normally
>> available from the same mirrors as the binary RPMs. It is just a
>> matter of enabling the source repo (It is in the config, just
>> disabled.) and selecting the source RPM you want. This way, you get
>> the "virgin source" plus the patches that Fedora is using. The .spec
>> file normally has a pointer to the upstream web site as well, just
>> in case it isn't in the source package.
>
> And that is one way of obtaining a version of the source.  But how did
> you know you could get the source from the repos?  Is that were ALL
> the source files?

While the repo is an obvious answer, it is really only interesting to
Fedorans.  Sources in the repos are wrapped up in these mysterious "rpm"
files.  Yeah, if you have any Linux you can use file-roller, but what if you
are coming from Windows?  Those things might as well be encrypted.

Of course, lots of stuff is in git, and you can look freely with just a web
browser.  But is everything?  Other stuff is in CVS.  How do you know?

--McD