New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jun 1 23:32:10 UTC 2009

Eric Christensen wrote:

> But as someone pointed out, that source RPM isn't in an exceptionally
> open format.  AND I know that everything Fedora produces isn't in RPM
> format.
>
> Eric

RPM isn't an open format as compared to what? It isn't a simple
format, but it is about as open as you can get. It is used by
multiple distributions, and is available for other systems besides
Linux. It is easy to access with the proper tools. For that matter,
you can install a source RPM just like you would install a binary
RPM. It will put the files in the default build tree for the user
doing the installation. You do not have to be root to install a
source RPM.

Now, as far as Fedora producing something that is not an RPM, I
would like to see an example of that. Some things are generated "on
the fly" by the scripts included in the RPM, but there is nothing
stopping you from looking at the scripts - even is a binary RPM.

There are some packages available from non-Fedora sites that will
compile modules when ever you install a new kernel, but these are
not produced by Fedora. You also have binary-only packages, but
again, these are not coming from Fedora.

Mike
--

Registered Linux User #16148  (http://counter.li.org/)