New Project: HOWTO Freely Obtain Our Source

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:06:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 07:57:51PM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 19:48 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 06:32:10PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > > Now, as far as Fedora producing something that is not an RPM, I
> > > would like to see an example of that. Some things are generated "on
> > > the fly" by the scripts included in the RPM, but there is nothing
> > > stopping you from looking at the scripts - even is a binary RPM.
> >
> > I think Eric was referring to our many hosted projects,
> > infrastructure, websites, artwork, and so forth, where source is
> > stored in some sort of source code control, but RPM packages are
> > indeed not produced or published.
>
> Yep, that's a large part of our missing openness.

I have an idea -- let's use "comprehensibility" instead of "openness"
here, lest we cause some consternation about what's open and what's
not.  Everything we produce in Fedora is open, transparent, and
attainable by anyone.  Whether the route to do that makes sense to
people new to the project, is quite another matter, one which we hope
to rectify.