Guide table and BZ

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 20:51:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 10:36:52PM +0200, Piotr Drąg wrote:
> Paul W. Frields pisze:
>>>   • translation-guide - The canonical reference for translating all aspects of
>>>     the Fedora Project
>> Check with L10n team before doing anything with this one, I think.
>> There is a git repo for this guide now, but I think they still use the
>> BZ component for issue tracking.
>>>   • translation-guide-windows - Tutorial for translators working in a Microsoft
>>>     Windows environment.
>> Ditto.
>>>   • translation-quick-start-guide - Helping new translators get started quickly
>>>     with Fedora translations.
>> Tritto.  (Ha, I just made that up.)
>>

> Actually only the third component is used and up-to-dated guide these
> days. The others need serious re-write or can be safely trashed.

There may be an excellent lesson there -- if it's possible to write a
Quick Start, no one will read anything else, and you may not have to
bother with the other one. :-)

I'm pretty sure that applies mainly to community projects like Fedora,
but not more rigorous products like RHEL.  No slight intended on the
superb work produced by Red Hat documentation team writers, on whose
manuals I relied years ago for sage advice.