Guide table and BZ

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 03:26:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 08:43:47AM +1000, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> Eric Christensen wrote:
>> If you haven't updated the Guide Table[1] lately, please take a look at
>> it and see if you can provide any updates.
>>
>> I'd also like to clean up the Fedora Documentation product in BZ.
>> Currently there are the following components:
>>
>>     * about-fedora - General project information for main menu.
>>     * readme-burning-isos - README for burning ISO images, included at
>>       mirrors.
>>     * readme-live-image - README for inclusion in Live ISO spins
>>     * readme - README file for inclusion in ISO spins
>>
> I've got versions of the above four documents converted to build in
> Publican, as well as:
>
> * Homepage (we need to make a decision about whether to even keep this --
> I strongly suggest killing it since it serves no useful purpose, and only
> potentially serves to confuse users)
> * Accessibility (which appears to be seriously out-of-date. I've updated
> a number of URLs, but I have no idea whether this document actually
> reflects the current state of accessibility tools in Fedora)

Pretty sure it doesn't reflect the current state.

> I really don't think that any of these should be packaged with the
> Release Notes as they have been in the past.

There may be some requirement for an accessibility statement, but I'm
not sure that really applies to Fedora; it may in fact be a holdover
from the Red Hat Linux days that's simply stayed around like a weed.
May be worth checking with Fedora Legal on the fedora-legal-list?

> I haven't checked any of these into the repo; the Publicanized versions
> will need attention from L10N, and I don't want to touch that until
> Transifex gets updated to version 0.6.
>
> Finally , I plan to produce a "Quick Start" Installation Guide for F12 to
> cover the "path of least resistance" for somebody to download Fedora and
> get it installed on a typical PC. This would be the Guide for a user who
> doesn't need the full documentation of the installation process and all
> its options that the IG offers. Some of this Guide will necessary overlap
> somewhat with "readme-burning-isos" and possibly make that smaller doc
> redundant.

Superb!  Maybe you can use some common content as snippets in the
Quick Start?  Your call.