gnote - description - less vs fewer

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 11:34:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:12:32PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> # yum info gnote
>
> "Gnote is a desktop note-taking application which is simple and easy
> to use. It lets you organize your notes intelligently by allowing
> you to easily link ideas together with Wiki style interconnects. It
> is a port of Tomboy to C++ and consumes less resources."
>
> Should I have used fewer instead?

The rule for "less" versus "fewer" in English is:

* If you can count the following noun, use "fewer."  Typically plural
  nouns will use "fewer."

* If you can't count the noun, use "less."  Typically singular nouns,
  or nouns of indefinite quantity, will use "less."

Examples:

* I have a lot less time than I used to have.

* There seem to be fewer spare hours in each day.

Although the *idea* of resources in your sentence is sort of hazy and
general, which would point to "less," the fact is that it's a plural
noun and in the strict sense, "fewer" is correct.

--
Paul W. Frields ("Grammar fascist at work!")   http://paul.frields.org/