changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Thu Jun 25 15:40:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 18:58 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> The Docs Team has recently reached consensus to change licenses that
> cover the various full-size guides the team works on, such as the
> Release Notes and the Installation Guide.  Currently the works are
> under the OPL 1.0, and the intention is to switch to the CC BY SA 3.0.

The Gnome documentation team is also moving to CC BY SA 3.0,
away from the GFDL.  I hope this will help downstream changes
or any upstreaming you might want to do in the future.

By the way, I don't know if any of the documentation you make
contains non-trivial code, but we were concerned about license
restrictions for code, and we got the following boilerplate
from the fine people at the SFLC:

"This documentation is licensed under [licenses].

As a special exception, the copyright holders give you permission to
copy, modify, and distribute the example code contained in this
documentation under the terms of your choosing, without restriction."

--
Shaun