changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 23:13:57 UTC 2009

On 06/25/2009 12:54 PM, Eric Christensen wrote:
> Do the individual contributors retain copyright on things they submit to
> the Fedora Project on behalf of the Fedora Project?

Yes.

Nevertheless, all contributions at this point in time are covered by the
CLA, and we possess the capacity to re-license them as we (Fedora/Red
Hat) see fit. Some people are uncomfortable with that, which is why I
have been looking at ways where we may be able to resolve that issue and
limit that power without un-necessarily tying our hands. In addition,
for a variety of reasons, many people will be unable to sign the CLA,
and I was hoping to find ways to permit them to contribute small changes
which are not of themselves significant enough to be copyrightable. This
may be impossible though, so I might end up having to settle for
rewording the CLA so that we have the power to use unlicensed
contributions under the terms of a predefined Free license, or a later
Free license of Fedora/Red Hat's choosing.

~spot