changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 04:58:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 06:48:29PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 06/25/2009 03:22 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > When we went from GFDL to OPL we specifically had to ask everyone
> > because none of the content works were under the Fedora CLA.  The
> > stated reasoning at the time iirc was, we wouldn't have to do this
> > check with everyone again if we had to relicense because we had the
> > CLA.
>
> I think the important distinction that I missed was that I thought you
> were only referring to the reference documentation in the separate files
> (e.g. Release Guide), where there are well defined lists of the
> contributors. For the wiki, that task is far too major and we would
> definitely want to leverage the CLA to relicense that content.

OK, thanks.  Yes, one specific reason for taking this discussion to
f-a-b is the wiki relicensing.  For any guides worked on entirely as
DocBook XML (Installation Guide, for example), we have the trail to
touch the handful of authors and ask permission to relicense.  Where
we can easily do that, I reckon we should -- there are enough
opinions in that direction, and I reckon I wouldn't mind the gesture.

Sparks' point about content that sources from the wiki is a tough nut
... I'll reply back to him directly.

> In the future, I want to retain that relicensing power for the wiki, but
> I think we can do so with a bit more finesse, e.g. something like:

[snip good text]

Yes, I like that approach *a lot*.  Haven't chatted with Ian about it,
but I reckon he concurs; ISTR he voted for the Wikipedia license
change, too. :)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41