Publican Issues for RNs

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Thu Mar 12 18:36:08 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>
To: <fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: Publican Issues for RNs

> Can Jeff Fearn or some other knowledgeable person explain

Unfortunately, I don't know all the players that well.  A Jeff did come on
to the phone call the other night, and I got the impression that he had
something to do with Publican.  Eric had indicated that making it a switch
would require massive work, although the other night the possibility that it
might not be all that bad was raised.  There was even talk of putting it
into the Fedora template but perhaps that was only wishful thinking.

> Publican also has a 'make tar-<LANG>' target for making just the tarball.

Even make srpm leaves the tar laying around, but if it is already willing to
have a shot at the spec file why not let it do that work too.

> It might be helpful to have David or someone to describe the
> exact issue with the .desktop file here, or just point us to a bug

Clearly I don't understand this bit at all, and that has to be the next
place to dig.  Eric was the one who had his srpm refused, so perhaps if
Eric, David and myself, or perhaps someone else knowledgable can get
together we can sort it out.

> I'm looking at Publican to see whether we could
> add the needed stuff to /usr/share/publican/make/Makefile.fedora

Eric knows exactly what has to happen inside Publican, he just didn't know
how to make it optional.

> I'm not completely Makefile-ignorant

I'm not either, but I'm hardly a maestro.

> We really do not want to have to punt this again
> for lack of elbow grease.

I think even worst case it isn't too bad, but the smoother we can make it
the better.  Maybe that is selfish -- I want to have it easy next time ;-)

--McD