PPC in the Install Guide

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 19 03:03:15 UTC 2009

So Rudi has been doing a ton of work on the Install Guide and we were
talking tonight about the status of PPC.

Currently we have a note in the IG where PPC installation differs.
This is a bit cumbersome and for a few other reasons wanted to seek
the 'Wisdom of the List' in how this should be handled.

Our options are:
1. Continue with the exceptions process
2. Adopt the RHEL solution - which is to have a separate section in
the same document that transcludes a lot of the identical content.)
3. Drop PPC from the Install Guide
3a: Drop PPC from the Install Guide and bring it back in F12 if there
is an uprising calling for our heads.
3b. Drop PPC from the Install Guide and Create a PPC IG
3c. Drop PPC from the IG and let a PPC-SIG pick it up

So discussing it amongst ourselves we both seem to like the 3a
solution (Drop content and revert if there is an uprising). Our
justification is:
1. PPC on pre-intel Macs is really aging hardware, so we are likely
talking about when to drop rather than if.
2. PPC hardware is hard to come by. Currently no one working on the IG
has PPC hardware in their possession, though Rudi says he can lay his
hands on a machine if need be.
3. Removing the exception notes makes the document a cleaner read
4. It's less work.

Barring any justifications to the contrary or directives from one of
our fearless leaders by CoB on Friday Mar 20th this will be the we
will be the approach for the F11 IG.

Comments and flames welcome