Reset root password

Rino Mardo rino.mardo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:19:43 UTC 2009

I have the steps, an old one, can someone verify if it's still
applicable. Sorry I don't have a test system to try it out:

1. Using an Install CD, put into the CD drive and boot from it
2. At the "boot:" prompt type "linux single"
3. Now you need to mount the partition where your grub configuration
file is stored. From the "# " prompt type "fdisk -l" and from the
"Device" column the line that have an asterisk is your boot partition
where grub is located
4. Mount your partition "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" (assuming /dev/sda1 is
the device that has the asterisk)
5. Afterwards do:
	cd /mnt/boot/grub
	vi grub.conf