More Publican Pain

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 30 12:39:37 UTC 2009

Today I made the mistake of looking at the Publican produced release notes
with Internet Explorer.  I can't believe it has taken me so long to make
this check, but it wasn't pleasant. They are pretty badly munged up.  I
wonder if there are things we can do/set in Publican to straighten this out.

The first problem is that the first page stops with the logo image.  This
eliminates the table of contents and first section.  By changing the
chunking in Publican we can get the first section back, but I don't know how
to get the table of contents.  And the little box where the logo belongs
looks trashy.  I suspect I could modify the branding to use the png version.
I also did a different document with Publican, and all looked fine when I
looked at it on my local box, but when I moved it to a webserver off my LAN
(I believe it is RHEL), a bunch of XML shows up where the logo belongs when
viewed with FF.  And it has the same issues with IE.

Second, every section number is followed by an A circumflex.  I suspect this
is some sort of codepage issue, but I can't say I'm sure of that.

I checked the Fedora 10 release notes, which weren't produced with Publican,
and they are fine.

I know, why aren't I using Firerox/KonquerorOpera pick your favorite poison.
Fact is, Ryan put together the F11 RN's months ago, and amongst many
experiments, I've probably viewed them a hundred times, with Firefox, Opera,
SeaMonkey, Konqueror, Epiphany; I can't believe it has taken me this long to
look at them with IE.  In spite of the inroads Firefox in particular has
made, Internet Explorer is still the big bear in the woods, and it doesn't
look good for Fedora if our documentation looks trashy.

--McD