More Publican Pain

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 16:57:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:39:37AM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> Today I made the mistake of looking at the Publican produced release
> notes with Internet Explorer.  I can't believe it has taken me so long to
> make this check, but it wasn't pleasant. They are pretty badly munged up.
>  I wonder if there are things we can do/set in Publican to straighten
> this out.
>
> The first problem is that the first page stops with the logo image.  This
> eliminates the table of contents and first section.  By changing the
> chunking in Publican we can get the first section back, but I don't know
> how to get the table of contents.  And the little box where the logo
> belongs looks trashy.  I suspect I could modify the branding to use the
> png version. I also did a different document with Publican, and all
> looked fine when I looked at it on my local box, but when I moved it to a
> webserver off my LAN (I believe it is RHEL), a bunch of XML shows up
> where the logo belongs when viewed with FF.  And it has the same issues
> with IE.

That is a server-side setting.  It is not pushing the proper MIME type
for SVG.  We had this on the docs.fedoraproject.org servers the first
time we put up the SELinux Guide; and it wasn't universal, only some
servers had the MIME type wrong, so it was harder to figure out.

I'm not sure about the chunking stuff; let's see how it looks once you
fix the MIME type.

> Second, every section number is followed by an A circumflex.  I suspect
> this is some sort of codepage issue, but I can't say I'm sure of that.

I think is also server-side, it's pushing the wrong character set.
Can you confirm the server is set to use UTF-8? It is likely using ISO
8859, which was Apache default for a while (still?)

> I checked the Fedora 10 release notes, which weren't produced with
> Publican, and they are fine.

Are you also seeing the character problems on a local copy or just
from the server?

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41