release notes update

Susan Lauber laubersm at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 14 14:58:04 UTC 2009

A number of people were watching chaos last night in #fedora-docs.  It
wasn't as much chaos as it appeared at times but still...
I thought I would try to explain what was going on - at least for
Sparks since he asked :)

As I know it from last night and I am sure missing a few points....

Earlier this week jjmcd built and submitted the release candidate (rc)
version of the rpm on time per the schedule.
Problem:  it had the wrong /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html (and
translations).  The correct xml content (and translations) was in git
- just not getting built.

A number of people (quaid, zoglesby, and mostly stickster) helped last
night to fix that problem and build a new rpm and get it to f13 for
last night's build and eventually the rc.
fedora-release-notes.11.0.0-2.fc11  should be in koji

Meanwhile there was a discussion of "as long as we are pushing a new
rpm late anyways...."  should we include a couple of other changes.

One went in:  There had been a paragraph chopped out of I18n since it
would not build correctly for any language.  It was weird because all
test builds worked fine but when done by rpm it failed miserably.
Turned out to be  single quotes that needed to be double quotes and
rudi had fixed it and pushed everything and so that one made it back
in no problem.

The other did not:  There is a paragraph replacement concerning sound.
 There is now a gui option to replace the previously mentioned command
line solution.  There was great debate about
a. do not include until zero day (the winner is option a)
b. include in english but not translated.
c. include and wait for translation (not really an option since the
rpm was needed within the hour)

Current status on changes to r-n:
1. rudi pulled the diff from the wiki for the sound issue and
committed it to master branch. 1b. but stickster reverted to make the
rpm 1c. so someone needs to revert the revert (rudi?)

2. other changes and additions from release candidate review need to
be added as available - however keep in mind that tx has only a few
hours to update this time around.
so nit pickin changes are frowned upon.

3. The schedule
[http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-11/f-11-docs-tasks.html]
says convert all wiki changes to xml beginning on the 21st and new pot
on 25th.  but it also says new rpm on 25th for GA on 26th.
I think the pot needs to be late on May 22 or early May 23 so the rpm
can get in early on 25th for GA....  [ And those are probably UTC
dates which for us US folks means the evening before....]

4. When building the final rpm - there are scripts in git
[http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/docs/release-notes.git].  In the
master branch, and in the build subdir.  (laubersm notes that she
should add a readme to that dir)

Hope that helps - or at least entertains.

-Susan

--
Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)
Lauber System Solutions, Inc.