Wikipedia license change

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue May 26 18:03:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:49:05PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/26/2009 02:38 PM, Karsten Wade wrote:
>
> > Related to something we've discussed:
> >
> > "Wikipedia drops GNU in favor of Creative Commons license"
>
> So, can Fedora Docs and Fedora on the whole switch to Creative Commons
> SA license from OPL? There doesn't seem to be any real blockers to the
> move.

If we get consensus on this list to switch from OPL to CC-BY-SA, then
I'll take the word to the Board.  Not that I think we need approval,
per se, but a simple heads up is a good idea. :)

Too late to do it for F11, though.  We could just queue it up as a
feature for F12?

As for the rest of the content in the project ... I would think others
would accept Docs decision, but I think a general discussion on
fedora-advisory-board is the best way to go to ensure we air out any
concerns, etc.

The OPL has served us very well for a long time, I'm sad to see us
move from it, but at this point the writing is clear.  We gain a lot
by going with a proper CC license.

Anyway, sad as I am, I'd be happy to take on this task, if we have
consensus.  I'll include working with CreativeCommons.org to get us a
splash of attention for it, etc.

- Karsten, working on an "Opus for the OPL"
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41