1st Draft: Package Management with RPM Update

Douglas Silas Hensley dhensley at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 02:44:57 UTC 2009

Hi Rahul,

On 09/21/2009 10:59 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 09/17/2009 06:10 AM, Douglas Silas wrote:
>> The first draft of the Package Management with RPM chapter is complete
>> and ready to be reviewed here:
>>
>> http://dsilas.fedorapeople.org/Deployment_Guide/en-US/html-single/#ch-rpm
>>
>> All comments/notes/suggestions welcome!
>
> Some of the material is certainly very out of date.
>
> "up2date is now deprecated in favor of yum (Yellowdog Updater Modified).
> The entire stack of tools which installs and updates software in Fedora
> 12 is now based on yum. This includes everything, from the initial
> installation via Anaconda to host software management tools like pirut."
>
> Pirut doesn't exist in Fedora for a long time. PackageKit and it
> graphical frontends have replaced it.  You should probably introduce yum
> first, encourage the use of it and note that RPM is a low level utility
> so that users don't have to deal with dependencies themselves.

I had been thinking a long time of shifting the chapter order as
well, and now I've done just that. The order of chapters is now: Yum
-> PackageKit -> RPM. These could still be swapped around based on
feedback, but I currently agree with you.

> Rahul

If you have the chance to look over the much-modified Part I, I'd
love to hear it. Aside from a few small things, it's completely
updated (with a completely new chapter on PackageKit):

http://dsilas.fedorapeople.org/Deployment_Guide/en-US/html-single/index.html#pt-pkg-management

Cheers,
--
Douglas Silas