Fedora Tour -> request for content

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 10:59:26 UTC 2010

hey,

We're from the Fedora-tour[1] development team.

The app is finally moving along and we're picking up speed. It's time we
asked the docs team for help. :)

You will find answers to questions such as "What is fedora-tour?" on the
fedora hosted link that I've given. In short, it's an app that will give
a Fedora user an interface with information on fedora. This is where the
docs team comes in. The wiki page[1] has a very broad synopsis of the
project. To continue, we need to narrow it down to exactly what content
the app is to feature. As of now, we've been coding using "placeholders"
which will be replaced once the actual info has been produced/delivered.
Since the docs team does the excellent job of maintaining the docs on
fedora, we're hoping the docs team will help us out with this.

We need the docs team to pin point the content of the app. ->

What is it to feature? What "tours" should we have? How much /what info
should a tour have. Will the tours only be based on the os, i.e,
software, or would we have info on the community too? Should we have a
quick interface that lets the user sign up to bugzilla? etc.

We also need the docs team to tell us what format they'd like to give us
this info in (plaintext?? XML??), something that would take minimum
overhead for the docs team while making it easy for the app to handle.

:::This is what we have in mind:::

It would be broadly divided into "tech" and "community" sections.
The tech section will feature tours such as KDE, GNOME, FEL etc, while
the community section will feature tours like "fp.o teams", "how to file
bugs", "how to contribute" etc.

We also hope to feature a "newbie tour" that takes a new user over the
entire fedora OS and community in small bits. ie, a superficial tour
that gives a noob enough info to understand what works and how while
making sure that it isn't too complicated to follow.

We could also have some "howtos" ie, presentations that show folks how
to do specific tasks?

:::Something about the app:::

It is using the pyclutter interface, and is independent of the DE used.
It's divided into a backend and a frontend. The backend takes info from
files (which contain info, which we need the docs team to provide) and
constructs objects out of it. The frontend then uses these objects and
displays them using the clutter api.

Please give this some thought.

We'd love to hold an irc meeting to talk to you folks in person over
this to get work done asap. Looking forward to your comments.

Thank you for your time :)

[1] http://fedorahosted.org/fedora-tour

--
regards,