some SELinux Users Guide strings may lead to an incorrect translation

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Sun Apr 18 23:35:47 UTC 2010

On 04/19/2010 08:33 AM, Domingo Becker wrote:
> There are some strings in the SELinux Users Guide that may confuse translators.
> Some of them may be untranslatable at all in some languages.
>
> For example, in Troubleshooting section, there are tree strings that
> seem to come from one paragraph:
>
> ======
> #. Tag: citerefentry
> #, no-c-format
> msgid ""
> "manual page describes what file type to use for a given situation (see the"
> "<computeroutput>Red Hat SELinux BIND Security Profile</computeroutput>  "
> "section). The"
> msgstr ""
>
> #. Tag: refentrytitle
> #, no-c-format
> msgid "named_selinux"
> msgstr ""
>
> #. Tag: citerefentry
> #, no-c-format
> msgid ""
> "manual page describes that, by default,<systemitem class=\"daemon\">named</"
> "systemitem>  can not write to master zone files, and to allow such access, "
> "the<computeroutput>named_write_master_zones</computeroutput>  Boolean must "
> "be turned on."
> msgstr ""
> ======
>
> In the first string, there is an incomplete sentence that takes the
> next two strings.
> In Spanish, "The" from the first string with "manual page" from the
> third string should be translated in the first string.
>
> There are several cases like this.
>
> My request is to not split a sentence in several strings, because
> after translated, merging them back produces undesired results.

Hi Domingo -- this is not something over which writers have only
control; it's Publican that's splitting the strings this way. Similar
problems arise whenever "asides" such as footnotes, indexterms, or some
similar tags occur in the middle of translatable content.

This case is particularly disruptive though; and perhaps <refentrytitle>
should be treated like <citetitle> that doesn't break up the string in
POT/PO files this way (if I recall correctly).

Could you please either file a bug against Publican, or raise this issue
on the publican mailing list[0]?

Cheers
Rudi