Fedora 14 Technical Notes

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Aug 13 03:27:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 23:15 -0400, Mike Danko wrote:
> Pouring over these,  big standout is the inclusion of ROOT. I doubt

I noticed that, but I also noticed a lot of R add-ons.  Probably a
bigger, but similar, user base.

And quickly browsing the CERN website earlier, they seem to be
positioning ROOT as a data analysis thing, not altogether unlike R but a
little glossier and able to handle much bigger datasets.  I didn't dig
far enough, tho, to tell whether there was really any meat there.  Of
course, a lot of the ROOT add-ons are pretty specifically for people
playing with particle accelerators.  Probably not a huge audience.

--McD