Fwd: Re: Docs in Sugar

Eric "Sparks" Christensen sparks at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 13 23:07:00 UTC 2010

John,
Does this make sense to you?

Eric

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Docs in Sugar
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 16:40:06 -0800
From: S Page <skierpage at gmail.com>
To: Eric Christensen <eric at christensenplace.us>
CC: fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com

(I'm going through OLPC e-mails and came across this old thread.  It
doesn't look like anyone else responded.)

> Do you know what software drives that offline manual?

There's a nice short explanation at
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/help , which also has its Python
code:
- - - -
The Help activity is a manual for Sugar and the OLPC XO. It currently
opens a gecko instance to a remix of chapters from the Flossmanuals[1]
Sugar[2], XO[3] and activity manuals.
- - - -
More details and some ideas for the Help activity are at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Help

> The Fedora
> Documentation Project is working on making sure our documentation is
> accessible to everyone regardless of the desktop.

The help documentation is just HTML pages (from flossmanuals.net,
incorporated into git, and put in the activity bundle), so on some
other desktop "Sugar Help Documentation" could simply launch a local
or remote URL of a suitable start page, and let the user's default
browser open it.  (IMO that's all Sugar should do, but reasonable
people disagree ;-) .)  Presumably on this other desktop the user
would not be running on OLPC hardware, so a remix[4] of chapters from
the Flossmanuals Sugar and activity manuals without the XO hardware
info seems more appropriate.  Sugar Labs might have created this set
of pages this already but I couldn't find it; you could ask on a Sugar
mailing list, if you haven't already.

Hope this helps.
- --
=S Page