Changes needed in the development of the RNs

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Fri Jun 4 18:36:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 13:05 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> You can probably do something with a few repoqueries.

I think I need to clarify a few things.

The Fedora Technical Notes are produced about 90% automatically.  Each
release I save a copy of primary.sqlite from the repo.  Some time back
we decided that we needed to show differences release to release rather
than from some midpoint in the old version's repo to the new.

Unfortunately, primary.sqlite has some sort of a SHA1 or something
prepended to the name which prevents me from downloading it
automatically (OK, maybe a little more logic I could do it, but right
now I only do it 3 or 4 times during the lead up to a release so not
worth it).

Then I compare the primary.sqlites.  The Fedora Technical Notes shows
the old and new version.  If a package is new, then only the new version
shows, and the "old" column shows "new".  If the same version of the
package appears in both Fedora releases, or if the package is missing
from the most recent release, the package doesn't show in the document.

The Fedora Technical Notes are not installed, but are available on
docs.fedoraproject.org.  Those same tables are also provided on the wiki
during the collection of release notes content for the benefit of the
beat writers.

It wouldn't be a huge leap, and probably worthwhile, to make a separate
table with those packages that have disappeared.

If there is a better approach than the repos than I am all ears, but I
am looking for more automatic approaches.  With over 15K packages, there
is no manual option that is reasonable.

--McD