Changes needed in the development of the RNs

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jun 5 14:17:48 UTC 2010

I sent the first version of this to only John by mistake.

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 14:36:52 -0400,
  "John J. McDonough" <wb8rcr at arrl.net> wrote:

> If there is a better approach than the repos than I am all ears, but I
> am looking for more automatic approaches.  With over 15K packages, there
> is no manual option that is reasonable.

I took a look at repodiff yesterday. I think it might provide an easier
way to do what you want. It will give you a list of new packages, removed
packages and information about updates.

When I tested this yesterday I ran into a bug triggered by a nonascii
character in one of the new packages. Seth fixed this upstream almost
immediately, but a new version might not get pushed for a while.
You can fix /usr/bin/repodiff yourself by changing the line:
            print '        %s' % pkg.summary
To:
            print '        %s' % to_unicode(pkg.summary)
As indicated in the upstream commit at:
http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum-utils.git;a=commitdiff;h=b99d9f7985e4c0e845bc907d6fa80ca7e1b178fb;hp=b133e55da728fe72fcd35e8693e4e8f3b77c568e

To compare the F12 release to the F13 release you can run the following command:
repodiff --old=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/12/Everything/source/SRPMS --new=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/13/Everything/source/SRPMS

I couldn't get repodiff to use the mirrorlist redirect links, so you'll want
to use a mirror convenient for you, though the kernel mirrors are normally
pretty good.

If you don't have repodiff installed, you can get it by installing the
yum-utils package.