Fedora 14 Schedule

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Jun 21 13:07:53 UTC 2010

One of my tasks has been to review the schedule.  Of course, we all
should be looking at it.  I've been struggling some to make sense of it.
There are a couple of issues, but even a few issues can make it very
confusing.

You should all be aware that John has posted the schedule at

  http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-14/

If you look at f-14-docs-tasks.html it can be very confusing since
release notes, announcements and guides tasks are all mixed together.
The report, f-14-docs-tree-tasks.html is a lot easier to digest.  Until
you have your head around that one, the docs combined with translation
and releng are totally confusing, so look at the tree tasks first.

It is a pity that you don't seem to be able to get a Gantt chart out of
taskjuggler, but if you download the two files from John's "source"
directory (f-14.tjp and reports.tji) and open them up in taskjuggler,
you can see the dependencies in the source.  To do that:

  1) Select the tasks tab on the left
  2) Highlight the task you wish to examine (note that in general
     the tasks are folded into higher level tasks)
  3) The task will be highlighted in the source on the right, and
     if there is a dependency, it will say "depends" on the right
     under the highlighted task name

It still isn't super-simple since Docs is only a tiny part of the whole
release, and of the hundreds of "external to docs" tasks, there are
perhaps a dozen that actually matter to us directly, and they don't
always show up within the folded group (e.g. Beta Release Notes), so it
isn't always obvious why a particular task has to happen on a particular
day without a fair amount of digging.

Rudi and I will be getting updates to John, so if you notice anything
that seems out of place please let us know.

Thanks,
--McD