Changing glossary to ???

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 14:36:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 09:15:09AM +1000, Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> On 06/22/2010 06:25 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > If Rudi's suggesting moving it to the wiki, I'm a bit sad, since I
> > spent a lot of personal time XML'ifying it from the wiki some time
> > back.
> >

> My suggestion is moving it back to the wiki until we get the sorting
> problems fixed. Long term, XML is definitely the right solution.

Fair enough -- my personal disappointment is probably partly due to my
not having enough foresight about handling this problem, or for that
matter being aware of it. :-)

> > Does this not help at all?
> > http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GlossarySort.html
> >

> No; that's what we do now. It works fine for English, doesn't work at
> all for Chinese and Japanese, and we haven't rigorously tested what
> happens at the edges of other languages that use Latin script (keeping
> in mind that not every language that uses the Latin script collates
> letters the the same way that English does or orders them the same way
> that English does all the time).
>
> We can fix most weirdness in alphabetic or syllabic writing systems
> upstream in the DocBook locale files. Writing systems that use ideograms
> are the present stumbling block.

Yeah, good points all.  This is a tricky problem.

> > If we're not using any glossdiv to divide up entries, will
> > glossary.sort work?
> >

> glossdiv isn't the problem here (and we're not actually using it in this
> case at all). You're right, however, that glossdiv makes thing much,
> much worse, even in languages that use the same writing system.[0]
>
> [0] an illustration from the Publican User Guide --
> http://tinyurl.com/2gx4yq3

OK -- perhaps to make the transition easier, I could probably write a
XSL snippet to get the glossary.xml file transferred quickly to
wikitext.  That would save someone else a bunch of extra labor, right?