Guide Versioning

Chris Curran ccurran at redhat.com
Fri Jun 25 01:17:00 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 11:09 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 10:07 PM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Things change and we need to be flexible with that but if we aren't
>> giving our readers a chance to properly review our new guides then we
>> aren't getting the feedback we need.  If we aren't going to fix bugs
>> then...  well, I'm going to fix my bugs.
>>
> My feeling is it would be beneficial to have the unstable development
> docs publicly viewable.  Even if that means just the en-US versions, and
> not the translated versions.  Something along the lines of:
>
>     http://docs-devel.fedoraproject.org
>     (that's not a real site)
>
> Having some kind of script triggered when a git commit is performed on a
> doc, that then uses publican to build the updated version, and publish
> it if successful.
>
> For now, I'm just manually generate the VG doc myself and publishing it
> to my personal fedorapeople.org space.  Not optimal, but it works.
>
> There is a "Fedora Draft Documentation" heading on docs.fp.o, and I kind
> of wonder if that's maybe an alternative place we could put development
> docs stuff.  It might get kind of crowded though, when we consider how
> many different branches of docs there would be. ;)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

I 100% agree with unstable public branches. Quick fixes are important
and what fedora is about. We need to be as agile as possible to stay up
to date with changing features. Realistically, the stable branch is not
going to be up to date for an entire fedora release (too much change).

Translators need stability. We can and should provide that for them. We
can do both by publishing master and stable releases.

Chris