Bug stomping session this weekend!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:12:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:04:04AM -0500, John J. McDonough wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 10:52 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > So how many of the guides are using git?  From my look at
> > fedorahosted.org, it's the majority.  That's good because git makes it
> > dead-simple to make fixes, generate a patch, and then email it to the
> > list where it can be used.
>
> I do believe that is correct, and I was aware of being able to generate
> patches.  That is really good from the standpoint of a new contributor
> who would likely be a little squeamish about making changes directly to
> the repo.
>
> However, if the guide owner isn't around and we queue up a bunch of
> patches, it could get pretty messy.  But then, I suppose that serves as
> penance for not being available :-)
>
> > There are some good setup hints for git here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Git_Quickref
>
> Everybody should put a shortcut to that in their browser, but I do have
> mixed feelings about it.  There is a lot to git, but for 99% of the
> things you do, that page goes into way more detail than you need, even
> though it probably only covers 10% of what you might do.

Yeah, I think you're right.  I looked mostly at the setup hints at the
top, but there are probably other choices one could make about what
people need to know.  Maybe we should adopt and fix that page. :-)

The basic information that a newbie needs to know to install and
configure git, clone a repository, and make/send a patch are the most
important things to show at the top, IMHO.  Everything else can be
shown in escalating degrees of difficulty below.