Self-Introduction

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 11 05:24:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Jonathan Drouillard  wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm Jonathan Drouillard, 24 years old and from Corsicana, TX.  I'm about to
> transfer to Baylor University for a degree in bioinformatics. I studied
> computer science for two years, but found a lack of challenges in most of
> the courses. Programming has been my favorite way to procrastinate since I
> was 13 years old. I have 'experience' in C, Objective C, C++, Java, Perl,
> and minor acquaintance with most programming languages. An extensive
> portfolio of applications should follow that sentence; but, for the most
> part, I have failed at transitioning from development to a release. I host
> 10 websites on a Linode running Ubuntu. I run Fedora in a virtual machine on
> my windows box.
> I believe writing documentation or tutorials will develop the skills
> necessary to bring my own ideas into release. I have no prior background
> writing documentation except for a technical writing class. I am not a guru
> of the *nix world, but I have always been able to find my way around thanks
> t  man pages, tutorials and wikis.
> Armed with a tablet, pencil, and paper it is my turn to give back to the
> community. I was sent here from Ycombinator with the promise of an excellent
> community. My question is: where do I go from here? I'm already in the IRC
> chat. How do I find what needs to be documented, could use tutorials, or
> anything else? I'm also open to writing docs and tutorials non-Fedora
> projects (ie github) that need help, making sites dedicated to teaching how
> to use software or open source programs, or any other ideas you have for
> informing users.
> pub   1024D/6391C79F 2010-03-10
> Key fingerprint = B9EF 0283 6C64 8937 D70B  7562 86D8 DE6A 6391 C79F
> uid                  Jonathan Drouillard (ambiate)
>
> sub   2048g/D18A1383 2010-03-10

Hi Jonathan:

Welcome to Fedora, and Docs in particular.
We are getting close to releasing Fedora 13 Take a look at the schedule here:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13/f-13-docs-tasks.html

So I'd suggest jumping in with the release notes - as those are in
full swing. Probably the easiest way to jump is to introduce yourself
on irc to jjmcd, John, who coordinates the release notes will be happy
to get some help. You may notice Paul sent a message to the list
earlier in the evening announcing that we'll be doing some work on the
weekend of the 17th, and getting everyone setup on the 14th. You can
see that message here:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2010-March/011855.html

That will get you used to working environment (wiki -> DocBook XML ->
{html,pdf,etc}) and familiar with some of the people.

I don't see your request to join the docs group within the Fedora
Account System, but when I do see it, I'll be happy to approve it.

As an aside, can you link me to where ycombinator recommended you to
Fedora? (I assume within the hackernews section)

Thanks,

David Nalley