Fwd: Live ISOs that don't fit on CDs

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 04:39:08 UTC 2010

On 03/16/2010 02:31 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:18:28AM -0600, Draciron Smith wrote:
>
>> There are still tons of machines out there which do not have a DVD and
>> especially in third world countries where older hardware is the norm
>> the price of a DVD reader is going to be as much as the machine they
>> want to put it into.
>>
>> Me personally I have several ancient machines who don't even have EIDE
>> support and finding a just plain IDE DVD reader would be nearly
>> impossible. About all they are good for is playing around with and
>> using as data/print servers but if you require a DVD to install they
>> become scrap metal.
>>
>> Sides if your going to use a DVD what's the point of using a live CD?
>> Why not just get the full install? Seems kinda pointless.
>>
> There's still a netinst.iso that's far less than CD sized -- something
> like 175 MB, I think -- that can be used for a network based
> installation on a box with only CD capacity available

True, but the people who are going to be bit hardest by needing a DVD
reader (people in "developing nations", people living under various
types of socio-economic disadvantage in "developed nations") are the
same people who are unlikely to have access to cheap, reliable,
high-speed Internet connections.