Attention New Contributors

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Wed Mar 17 15:06:51 UTC 2010

Over the next couple of days we will be adding a lot of content to the
wiki.  There is an opportunity here to do things.

I have put together a page that shows the opportunities:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beat_status

On any beat where there is a bold word opportunity, this is a chance to
do some reasonably easy things.  If you see a beat with this marker that
interests you:
- Edit the status page and place your ~~~ after the word opportunity
  so someone else doesn't start working on the same thing
- Go to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats
  and click on the link for the beat page
- The page will have links to the related feature pages.  Review those
  pages and generate some release notes prose on the beat page

Some of the beats say "possible opportunity".  These are for those who
are up for a little more detective work.  These beats show old and new
versions of important applications with a link to the upstream web site.
The trick here is to find the upstream release notes, which can often be
a challenge.  Review the notes and decide whether the change is
significant.  You want to take special note of cases where upgrading
requires some action on the part of the user.  Then write some release
notes prose on the beat page describing the significant changes.  We
don't need to fixate on every bugfix, but we do want to identify major
changes.  And sometimes there just isn't much information available.

All of this will get reviewed at least once, so don't get hung up on
having exactly perfect prose.  Nicer is obviously better, but there will
be multiple review cycles so no point getting overwrought.

Meanwhile, I'll go after the uglier ones first. I (and I'm sure others)
will be idling on #fedora-docs if you need help, or email to this list.
The list is better because if you have a question, someone else probably
does too.  But IRC is quicker.

Thanks
--McD