Fedora 13 Release Notes

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 22 23:23:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 12:15 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 09:24:24PM -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Looks like this needs to:
> >
> > Requires: /usr/bin/htmlview
> >
> > That command is now provided by the xdg-utils package in Fedora 13.

I thought that was provided by default.  Thanks for the heads-up.

> By the way, is there any munging we still have to do with the .spec
> file that Publican produces, to get things into Fedora?  Are there any
> lingering problems with that munging that could still use some help?
> I'll pledge some time to it if needed.

The Publican-produced rpm is so far away from what we need, and I got so
little support for fixing it from the Publican crew, that I took to
writing code to produce a workable RPM.

I shouldn't be too harsh on the Publican folks.  They did give me the
clue I needed to make it work, but apparently languages are handled
quite a bit differently in RHEL than in Fedora, so we never got on the
same page.

Meanwhile, within Docs we have been having some discussion about how we
may want to change our delivery.  To an extent, we are dragging our feet
a bit to see what Zikula can bring to the table, but we are hopeful that
the new langpacks along with Zikula might lead to a more sane solution.

Meanwhile, we have a program that packages Publican docs so it is a
no-brainer to build the RPM.  It's not so bright about the revision
history, but since it is temporary, it doesn't seem to be worthwhile to
put too much effort there.  However, after the F13 beta RPM is out the
door I would be happy to entertain requests from the guide owners.

All of that, along with my focus on release notes which are still
packaged along with About Fedora, and hence is something of an outlier,
meant that I didn't push back very hard on the Publican team since we
don't know what we will do in the longer term.

--McD