Fedora 13 Release Notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 00:32:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:08:28AM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 21:24 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Looks like this needs to:
> >
> > Requires: /usr/bin/htmlview
>
> I guess I didn't realize I had to specify the full path.  Looking at
> other specs, it seems customary to use
>
> Requires: htmlview
>
> which is already in the spec. Or do I need Requires xdg-utils since in
> F12 there was an htmlview package.

Sorry I didn't see this before we talked, John!  (I don't sync my mail
constantly, so that I can definitively say at some point each time I
do email, "I'm done, time to do something else.")

The answer is that "Requires: htmlview" is a *package* level
dependency, while "Requires: /usr/bin/htmlview" is a *file* level
dependency.  Cool that RPM supports this, I don't think it's possible
in some other software management systems.

So that means that the first case only works as long as the package
name stays the same.  The second case works no matter if the binary
moves to a differently-named package (which happens F12 -> F13).