An interesting Yelp behavior

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 17:27:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 09:48:15AM -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 15:16 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > I'm not quite understanding what you're observing because when you say
> > "appears" and "disappears" I don't know what you're looking at.  I'll
> > get with you on IRC and once I get a clue, I'll report back!
>
> Copying this direct too because I don't know whether the images will
> make it to the list.

Generally you should post attachments like this to your
fedorapeople.org space (or some other web-accessible location), and
put the URL in your email.  Some people will have a hard time with the
attachments, and others with the mail bloat, otherwise.

> yelp-initial shows yelp (F12) as it typically looks.
>
> yelp-norn shows yelp when fedora-release-notes and about-fedora have
> been hidden from yelp.
>
> The categories that show on the right that do not appear on the left are
> all categories containing no documents, which may explain why they do
> not appear on the left.  Apparently that list on the right just fills up
> space if there is nothing else to show there.
>
> Whether or not f-r-n is installed, all the other documentation seems to
> be displayable, so it looks as if I was simply confused about what was
> happening, which also means I need to ask Shaun to clarify his question.

Ah, and I see what's happening on my system and why it's different
now. I have gnome-user-docs and gnome-devel-docs, for instance,
installed on my system, so it looks different:

[paul at scarlett ~]$ rpm -qa yelp fedora-release-notes gnome\*docs\*
yelp-2.28.1-1.fc12.x86_64
gnome-devel-docs-2.28.0-1.fc12.noarch
fedora-release-notes-12.0.2-1.fc12.noarch
gnome-user-docs-2.28.0-1.fc12.noarch

The result:
http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/temp/desktop-yelp-f12.png

That's why I was so surprised to hear about this "default" listing!
Perhaps gnome-user-docs was removed from the default Desktop Live CD
in a previous release, for space reasons.  With the new, larger
Desktop Live image, I'm hoping that's no longer the case.