Closing bugs

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:55:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:41:13AM -0400, Eric Sparks Christensen wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 10:18 AM, John J. McDonnell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 09:23 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I have a request with regard to closing docs bugs.  Although not
> >> required, it would be super-helpful if you include a link to the git
> >> (or SVN) commit for your fix when you mark a bug as CLOSED.  That way
> >> anyone cc'd on the bug can click the link and see how you fixed it.
> >> Doing this helps optimize transparency and also gives other people who
> >> are lurking a better feel for how we fix bugs.  Seeing how easy such
> >> fixes might be creates a higher potential for getting others involved.
> >
> > I've been trying to do this mostly so I can keep track myself (e.g.
> > 533578, 533585).  I hadn't thought about how lurkers might find this
> > instructive.  I've only included the commit ID though, since it is
> > almost globally unique (for git).  A link to the commitdiff would
> > certainly be an improvement for others.
> >
> > --McD
>
> If it is a package fix wouldn't the note when you submit the new package
> suffice?  I'm pretty sure if you put in the BZ numbers that those
> tickets will get an update automagically.

Are we possibly talking about two different things?  What I meant is,
a reporter (and possibly several/many others) are subscribed to a bug
in Bugzilla already.  They get email when the bug changes.  If the
fixer puts a URL to a git/SVN change in the bug when closing, any of
the recipients can click on it to see how exactly it was resolved.

When the fix is finally packaged, yes, you can include the bug(s)
fixed in bodhi, the update system.  Then the bugs get automagically
notified and closed when the update is made available, respectively,
in testing and then stable.