Guide/notes/document sponsorship

Nick Bebout nick at bebout.net
Fri May 7 04:08:18 UTC 2010

These are the possible ideas I've heard so far:

1. Separate groups for each document as it is now, but give document
owners and other experienced members sponsor status (this can be
facilitated by making a docssponsors group which will auto-grant sponsor
status in all the individual groups. We could make a docscommitter group
too that auto-grants user status in all the individual groups. (This idea
would preserve the possibility to give commit access to just one group if
for some reason this was wanted.)

2. Use "docs" as the commit group for all of our documents.

3. Use "docs" as a tracking group for all docs project members, grant
"gitdocs" to give commit access to all documents when the member gets a
little experience. (Eliminate the separate groups for each document.)

4. Change nothing, have separate groups for all documents, have to track
down separate people to get approved for each document's commit group.

Can we get some kind of informal poll going? Could everyone please email
the list with what they prefer? I think I included all of the ideas,
although if you have an idea that's not on the list, feel free to suggest
it too.

My vote would be either 1 or 3.

Nick