[Fedora-music-list] Summer Coding Idea for a Musicians' Guide to Fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 10 12:26:16 UTC 2010

Parallel reply to keep this thread from derailing.

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 04:00:07PM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Some thoughts below about why I suggested Christopher continue this
> and ask for mentors from the Fedora Audio SIG.
>
> If anyone from the Docs Team is interested in mentoring, I think a
> dual-mentoring situation might work here.  This is because writing a
> guide for Fedora involves two parts -- the working with the technical
> side on the content, and working with the documentation side on
> production and publishing.  Docs folks -- read on to understand more
> and where to go next if you are interested in mentoring.
>
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 02:09:08PM -0400, Christopher Antila wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am a Canadian university student who would like to take part in the
> > Fedora Summer Coding process.  My academic background is in Music, but I
> > have taken some courses in Compuer Science.  My idea is to write a guide
> > for musicians using Fedora (see the idea page here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010_ideas_-_Fedora_Musicians'_Guide).
> >
> > The idea, basically, is to get people started with the various programs
> > available in Fedora and Planet CCRMA.  The idea page is far from a
> > complete project, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  What
> > I need now is a mentor to guide me through the project!  Ideally, that
> > task would be split between people from the Docs SIG, and the music
> > community.
>
> I've been on the fedora-music-list and music at lists.fedoraproject.org
> since the list was started, so I am somewhat familiar with the
> challenges around PlanetCCRMA and Fedora.  I am *very pleased* and
> equally impressed with the hard work the CCRMA team puts in to making
> things work with Fedora.
>
> Having a Fedora Musicians' Guide that focuses on getting Fedora and
> PlanetCCRMA working together as a digital audio workstation might be a
> good way to bring more audiophiles, audio professionals, prosumers,
> and amateurs (like me!) to using this great combination.
>
> Christopher needs a mentor who can work with him in getting the guide
> written.  I suggested he ask from the music-list/Audio SIG because you
> all are the people who know the subject best.  Also, a certain portion
> of his work will happen on this list.  That's what Fedora Summer
> Coding does, brings students to work on real open source projects,
> similar to Google Summer of Code.
>
> We've long talked about doing content as well as code.  That opens the
> doors to books as well as video, music, and other expressions that
> support the Fedora Project.  We can't be sure that Christopher's
> project will get funded this year, but with a mentor it can proceed
> anyway.
>
> If you'd like to know more, start here and/or email me for more
> information:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010#You_are_a_mentor
>
> The idea page is up already, so this is where Christopher's proposal
> starts from:

> [...]

Christopher, Karsten, Docs folk --

This is a great opportunity to not only help mentor someone
individually, but to also streamline the joining process, i.e. the
list of things people need to know to work with Docs.  At an even
simpler level, the Docs team is also interested in making sure anyone
can use the free access to knowledge and tools in Fedora to produce
documentation they care about.

Is there someone who would be interested in taking Christopher by the
hand to help him get started with our tools and the process of
outlining a Musicians' Guide?