Guide/notes/document sponsorship

Ian MacGregor ardchoille42 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:33:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-18 at 11:42 -0400, Eric "Sparks" Christensen wrote:
> At last week's meeting we discussed the FAS groups that allow users
> access to repos and to the publishing webpage.  We agreed to look at two
> schema for moving forward.
>
> The first idea was to only have two groups.  One group that would allow
> access to all repos and a second group to allow access to the backend of
> docs.fp.o.  So upon joining the Docs Project you would not be assigned
> to any group and would only get access to the repos once you started
> participating at a level that required access.
>
> The second idea was to have three groups.  The same groups as mentioned
> above would be included and retaining the existing "docs" group would be
> included.  So when you joined the Docs Project you would be placed in
> the "docs" group and after that you would be added to one of the two
> groups as needed.
>
> The first idea was pushed because it required less work for contributors
> (and for those administering the groups) while the second idea was
> pushed as it more closely reflected what we have today.
>
> The question was raised about those contributors that work with the Docs
> Project, that don't need access to the repos, but are working with the
> Project.  In FAS they would just have the cla_done group.  There are
> activities within Fedora that require cla_done + one group in order for
> the contributor to participate.  These activities include voting,
> e-mail, and others.  It was confirmed by Nick (NB) that removing the
> group from your FAS would remove those activities as well.
>
> So, in preparation for tomorrow's meeting, I wanted to get the
> conversation started, again.  During tomorrow night's meeting we will
> decide a way forward.  Please discuss here but be there tomorrow night.
>
> - --Eric

I feel we should keep the docs group. This would no longer affect me as
I'm now in the gitrelease-notes group but I'm thinking about other
members as well as potential contributors.

Some might feel that the email address, fedorapeople space and other
items are 'perks' and removing the docs group removes those perks for
people who aren't in any other group. This might cause the group to lose
potential contributors as well as current contributors. Can we afford to
take that chance? I realize it's a bit more work, but no group/team can
afford to lose or turn away contributors.

Quote from sparks' email yesterday: "So when you join the Docs Project
you would be placed in the "docs" group and after that you would be
added to one of the other two groups as needed."

My vote is for three groups as stated in the quote above and I'm even
willing to step up and help with any extra work that entails.

--
Regards,
Ian MacGregor