Build Fedora12 in Fedora Way

Murthy Mamidi rmmamidi at gmail.com
Thu May 20 01:49:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

Not sure who to report this correction to, so took a took best guess and
posted this to docs team.

This following URL

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel

gave a wonderful update to building Fedora12. Everything is great except a
minor thing. It is as follows ...

In the step

   - 1.3 Copy the Source Tree and Generate a
Patch<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel#Copy_the_Source_Tree_and_Generate_a_Patch>

once the 'diff' is done to generate the patch, the tree under the directory

~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.$ver/linux-2.6.$ver.$arch/

could *have* files ending in "*.orig" should any update be done via "patch".
Basically I applied patches to the tree instead of hand editing the files.
This left some files with "*.orig".

If this tree is left like this, once the steps, particularly

   - 1.5 Prepare Build
Files<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel#Prepare_Build_Files>

is done and if one attempts

   - 1.6 Build the New
Kernel<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel#Build_the_New_Kernel>

it *could* fail, if the any patches that get applied from the original
source itself had to generate "*.orig" file or have clashes. So workaround I
had to use is,

after

   - 1.3 Copy the Source Tree and Generate a
Patch<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel#Copy_the_Source_Tree_and_Generate_a_Patch>

is done, I did

cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD                which would be so, by end of 1.3 anyway,
so not really necessary but)
find . -name "*.orig" -exec rm -f {} \

--
Murthy V Mamidi