Release day problem: missing CSS from publican

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 25 15:09:06 UTC 2010

Hi Docs team,

When we publish the docs to the web, the
Common_Content/css/default.css for every language of each document is
trying to import nonexistent CSS files.  For example:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/es-ES/Fedora/13/html/Release_Notes/Common_Content/css/default.css

When there's a 404, it's caught by our general 404 redirect.  Each
import then causes the web server to load the redirected index file
(which is invalid for CSS).  This not only slows down the server for
logging spurious errors but also the clients as well.  Here's a
snippet Mike McGrath provided:

http://mmcgrath.fedorapeople.org/docs.fedoraproject.org-error.log.gz

I'm going to add 0-byte files in the git repo for the CSS in web/docs,
so we can re-push the site and avoid this problem for now.  Yes, we
could add more rewrites, but release day isn't the time to be hacking
a bunch of rewrites together.

We'll need to get this fixed upstream in Publican, most likely.