default link for untranslated books

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Wed May 26 22:58:05 UTC 2010

On 05/27/2010 07:13 AM, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Ruediger Landmann
> <r.landmann at redhat.com>  wrote:
>
>> 2. At the moment, when you see a book in a language menu, you know that
>> it is translated. The situation is not so bad for widely translated
>> languages, but for less widely translated languages, users will click on
>> links and most will be in English; they might not even discover that
>> *any* books have been translated into their language, so the hard work
>> of the translation team gets lost in a sea of English.
>>
> Document titles could and should be displayed in the native language,
> and English titles will then stand out.

Actually, that's a good point!

Publican has only recently gained the ability to display the translated
titles of documents in the menu rather than the English titles (only
after I had already built the site!) Changing the titles the "proper"
way involves uninstalling and reinstalling each document (around 300 of
them...) so I'm investigating how I can fix this without having to do
that :)

>> I wonder if a better solution would be for me to add a prominent notice
>> to the "Welcome" page to tell visitors "to see a full list of all
>> documentation, change the language to English"?
>>

> In the meantime, definitely.

OK -- I'll get this done today. Thanks for the feedback :)

Cheers
Rudi